5/5/10

Time Saving Tip: Seasonings & Marinades Part 1

I prefer to buy all my meat for the month at once. I do this for a couple reasons. First of all, it allows me to take advantage of sales on certain cuts of meat. Second, it minimizes trips to the store throughout the course of the month. I absolutely refuse to spend my child's naptime (when that actually happens) and bedtime hours running errands or doing household chores. Those precious hours when I'm not watching a child are spent doing the things I absolutely can not do when he is awake.

When you buy meat ahead of time, this means you are most likely going to be freezing most of it. In order to expedite this process of thawing and preparation when mealtime arrives. I've devised a system (I use that word 'system' very loosely). I pre-season or marinade my meat when I freeze it so that all I have to do is put it in the oven or on the grill when its thawed out... instead of thawing it out and then having to let it marinade for 30-60 min. That is one less step I have to think about and less ingredients I have to think about having on hand the day I decide to make that particular entree.

It may not seem like a large savings of time at first glance, but think of all the time you take measuring ingredients, removing meat from packaging, and not to mention the additional cleanup involved. In other words, 15 extra minutes really adds up when you have 25 minutes to get dinner on the table before the whole house goes into flames. (Okay, that was really dramatic, but seriously, it feels like that some days)

Here are some examples to give you the idea...


Whole Chicken:


These are usually priced very well at Costco. They come in packages of (2) 4 lb. birds. We usually will make one right away and then I freeze the second one for later. Before freezing, you will want to remove the bird from the packaging and rinse it under cold running water. Then pat it dry with a paper towel.




**Note: You really want to follow this procedure whenever dealing with any meat or poultry, regardless of when you plan on cooking it. Patting it dry with a paper towel ensures that the bird will brown nicely, especially when on the stove top (e.g. stirfry, pan seared chicken, ect.)


Next you will go ahead and season it as if you were going to cook it that night. I rubbed Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and fresh rosemary all over this one. (You could use whatever fresh herbs you have on hand for a variation.)

Citrus Variation: Stuff with lime, lemon, and/or orange segments. Rub salt & pepper over the body. Brush with honey and juice from the fruits you put inside





Lastly, place it *gentley* into a very high quality plastic freezer bag. (don't get the store brand for something like this. Trust me, its not worth the savings..)

Defrost in the refrigerator for 2 days for best results.




To cook:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place the bird breast side up onto a rack in a large roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 400 degrees and roast for an additional 40 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh (away from the bone) reads 170 degrees. If you have glazed the chicken with honey or something of that nature, it will begin to brown before it is done inside. Simply cover it with aluminum foil once it starts to do this and return it to the oven until its done cooking. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving.

Serving Suggestions:
  • green salad and wild rice
  • carrots with almonds and roasted new potatoes
  • grilled vegetables and sweet potatoes.

You can also just remove all the meat from the bird and use it for a number of other recipes. I typically have something like this in the refrigerator at all times. The tender meat from this chicken is great in salads, quesadillas, panini sandwiches, and soups (e.g. chicken noodle). Pictured right is the meat I removed from the
chicken and hand shredded (which is the best meat for a panini, by the way)

I tried to think of something witty or insightful to add to this post instead of a bunch of instructions... and the best I could do is: remember to put your oven mitt on before you pull the pan out. oh yeah, and keep it real.

6 comments:

  1. wonderful! this is definitely something i can do. what would you say is the, or a, difference between cooking the chicken in the oven opposed to boiling it on the stove top? that is the only way i have cooked a chicken so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. Baking chicken in the oven gives it that roasted flavor. so I would say that is one of the biggest differences; the flavor. Baking it allows you to play with the flavor more. For instance you can baste the chicken while its roasting (i.e. brush with BBQ sauce, honey, or any other sauce.)

    Second the texture will be a bit different between the two methods. When you boil the chicken it gets cooked evenly all the way through and you really just throw away the skin because it gets gross. When you roast a chicken, it has that nice contrast of texture; crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. boiling chicken however is great when you are make a soup, as the soup provides enough seasoning.

    If you are eating the chicken by itself as the main course of an meal, I would highly recommend roasting it. Hope that helps:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll post a picture of this one roasted when I make it. That way you can see how it looks.... delicious! heh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog Maeret! I think I can learn a lot of good tips on here from you :)

    Maybe you can make a post about developing a repertoire (I had to spell check that word!) of sides? I don't usually have a problem thinking of a main course that sounds good, and easy to make, but when I have to think of an equally easy to make side dish I go blank!

    Also - tips on what kinds of sides pair well with certain main courses?

    ReplyDelete
  5. CAUTION READERS

    This post contains graphic materials including dead and dismembered bodies.

    Viewer discretion is advised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Colleen for you suggestions. Keep your eye out, because I will definitely work on a series of posts on "Building a Repertoire". good thinkin' sis (in law!)... :)

    ReplyDelete