4/25/10

ciao italiano

this is not to share a recipe, this is to say that i won't be sharing italian recipes. i made spinach and ricotta manicotti from 'the illustrated kitchen bible' for our congregation tonight and it wasn't a smash hit. i'm not thrilled with italian recipes. there's no zip, no zing. just a lot of work, and no satisfaction. it looks like this:
i turn to susan for the italian recipes. she is married to the stallion after all.

here is a successful recipe instead:

sweet and sour dressing (betty crocker)
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons white or cider vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or a sprinkle of dried parsley)
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of dried red pepper flakes

mix together in a container with a lid. refrigerate until ready to use.

this salad is best with red onions, some kind of dried fruit (i use raisins because that's what i always have on hand) and sugared almonds.

to sugar almonds: heat up a non-stick pan on medium heat and then pour sugar in it covering the bottom. sprinkle slivered almonds on top and wait for the sugar to melt onto the almond. remove from pan onto foil or wax paper to cool.

3 comments:

  1. Fyi.. I thought the manicotti was delicious. So I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. But I know the feeling. Like the time I made Miso Soup for Sunday night dinner... and watched several half-full bowls make it to the trash can. I was like "okay, I can rip that page out of the cookbook"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's an adventure. why we risk new recipes on sunday night i'll never know, but we keep on trying. hey at least they're getting fed. and dessert is usually pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. leah- I basically like anything you make but I would have to say that right now my favorite is the salmon you could definately post on that.. like where do you buy your salmon, what rub... time on oven ect. for those of us who don't write things down right when you tell me.

    ReplyDelete