4/25/10

Hot Mess




So I had a craving for waffles on Saturday morning, however, I really was not up for all the fanfare that comes with make waffles (see picture for more details) on Sabbath. I woke on Sunday morning with the same aforementioned craving and decided to make it happen. Making waffles from scratch is pretty straightforward and there are a lot of fun variations you can do to make it special for a day you have time to actually sit down and enjoy breakfast with a cup of coffee.

The Waffle Iron is a great invention that supposedly makes the actually cooking of the waffles simple, easy, and 'clean'. However, this was not my experience. Obviously, in light of my graphic illustrations, I would recommend erroring on the side of under-filling the griddle..... other than that, it is in fact fool-proof to operate.

We (and by that I mean Micah and myself) went all out by topping the waffles with sliced strawberries, a few chocolate chips, and dusted them with powdered sugar. Micah was not interested in the concept of taking pictures of the food BEFORE we ate it.

My personal favorite highlight of the waffles, aside from cleaning up the kitchen afterwards (kidding), was the fact that Micah insisted on being in the picture WITH said waffles. The plate was too heavy for him to hold, so he settled for a spot behind them...



WAFFLES
makes 6 large waffles

2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Optional add-ins: 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4 medium), 1 cup chopped toasted pecans, 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips.
(obviously, you wouldn't want to put all of this in there... I mean you could, but it would get pretty intense.... and I don't know if you can handle that?!)

Directions:
Heat Waffle Iron
Beat eggs in a standing mixer (or large bowl) until fluffy with the wisk attachment. Beat in the remaining ingredients until consistent.
Pour batter into the hot waffle iron (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) and close lid.
Bake for 5 minutes or until it looks done (is that vague enough?)


We used whole wheat flour. I don't really know that its healthier for you?(feedback welcome) I tend to use whole wheat flour more for the texture than the health benefits. I mean, lets be honest, waffles with chocolate chips and syrup isn't exactly a 'healthy breakfast'...... so the wheat flour isn't going to save you. But I enjoy the 'rustic' texture of the wheat flour in baked goods. Maybe it's becuase I like the idea of something being 'rustic' as it reminds me of Colorado, even though I'm just eating waffles in my kitchen in Kansas.....


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the waffles look yummy. i enjoy a good waffle from time to time. especially with fruit and powdered sugar. AND.....yay for this blog! i am excited to read all of your fun stories and collect great menu ideas. this is wonderful for the no time to cook eater. : )
    also, i love the picture with micah. for not being a fan of taking a picture before eating he sure had a cute smile on his face. what a handsome guy you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, that photograph with micah is awesome! looks delicious. we had a waffle maker, one of the things i brought to the marriage, but those things only last so long, unlike our love. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a craving for waffles this weekend too.. I made chocolate and coconut waffles. YUM! I use the Krusteaz buttermilk mix from costco for those who want a shortcut and they are good. I enjoyed reading your blog.. very insightful i never would have put whole grain with colorado together but i can see how once you explained it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had waffles this weekend too - super multigraini waffles. But ours didn't look nearly so fancy. Presentation is everything!

    ReplyDelete